1. My sister still holds a grudge against me for trying to give her Barbie doll bangs and a bob. F.Y.I. it can't be done. Barbie's hair isn't meant to lie flat against her head. I hid the doll in a Play-doh bowl behind the Dream House and my sister found it. She claims she was traumatized because of it.
2. If anything crazy or interesting happens to me, I don't tell anyone so I can use it for material in a book without having to answer personal questions about it. So if I say, "Oh you don't want to hear about that," or, "It's so boring. It's a non-story," that means it's already in a file somewhere and it's someone fictional's story now.
3. The singer, Bobby Vinton, gave me my first kiss when I was a little kid. My grandparents were huge fans of his and took me to his concert. I remember it vividly: I got a blue poodle balloon animal and a smooch. I still haven’t had a night that’s topped that…and I was like, four or five when that happened.
4. I took ballet lessons for 10 years
5. I got a hug from Lech Walesa once. You might be a Polish-American girl if Lech Walesa's hugged you and Bobby Vinton's kissed you.
6. I love the book, The Great Gatsby, and I have two journals, a mug, and a F. Scott Fitzgerald paper doll to attest to that fact. I actually have two of the paper dolls in case one of them gets damaged. I like to have a backup.
7. Speaking of backups…If I love a book I buy an extra copy (especially if it has a different cover) and put another copy on my Kindle for safekeeping.
8. I love to do laundry. I love having a closet/dresser full of clean things to wear and I get panicky when the hamper starts to get full. I saw Shannen Doherty say she’s washed clean laundry before and I thought, “I totally get that and must meet her. We would have much to talk about.”
9. I have to have certain things organized, but other things I can completely let go and not care about. My books? Arranged to the point where I know if someone's nudged one ever so slightly. My pantry? Has to be a certain way. But my couch? You can’t even find a place to plop your tush it’s so covered right now.
10. Back when I was writing for the news, I would have the news on all the time—even overseas I’d have RT news on or one of the international stations on while I worked. Now I can’t stand to have the TV on while I write. Any noise at all distracts me. I could hear a squirrel sniffle outside and I’d lose it.
11. I used to watch Breakfast at Tiffany’s all the time when I was in high school. Even my parents knew it line for line because it was on all the time. When my place flooded overseas, I had to go to the library to email an article and they had a copy of the movie on their “freebie” shelf. I believe I hugged it in the library.
12. I watch Carole Lombard movies whenever they come on because she looks so much like my grandmother did. I owned a set of her films, but they got lost in the move. Love her.
What I'd Need To Survive a Deserted Island: (From Interview with authorWhitney Dineen)
I actually lived on an island in the middle of the Atlantic, so I kinda know what I would need!
Gluten-free snacks. Man, those are not easy to find on an island. You don’t want to know what passes for a gluten-free cookie over there. I swear they just compressed crumbs together and wrote, “Cookies,” on the box. Blech.
A television. Islands gets weird weather and you need something fun to watch. I got through those bad weather days watching movies and TV shows. I heart my TV.
Books. I also turned to reading on those crazy island storm days. I preferred humor books when I lived there and it was easier to get books delivered from Amazon UK than the U.S. one, so I used to order books by U.K. authors like: Cathy Cassidy and Cathy Hopkins. Those books got me through bouts of homesickness and cabin fever.
Can I get a laptop that plugs into a palm tree so I can still get on Facebook and Instagram? Please?
Bug spray. You don’t want to know the size of the centipedes I saw over there. Oh, and bug spray goggles because knowing me I’ll end up macing myself
In My Purse at All Times:
A little notebook and pen for jotting down ideas. I swear I write better in cute notebooks than the plain, boring ones
My phone so I can check messages and read on it when I’m in line somewhere.
My lip gloss. Even if I have no other makeup on, lip gloss makes me look alive. Well, alive-ish.
I carry my own hand soap because I hate strong scented bathroom soap. Some of it smells like liquid funeral parlor scent.
My super adult Hello Kitty wallet. I love that it looks like fake Chanel—as if the Hello Kitty face on it is fooling anyone.
In My Wardrobe:
Calvin Klein performance pants. Seriously, I think they issue you a pair when you get to heaven. The most comfortable pants in the universe.
French Connection dresses. I’ve lost count at how many I own. I wear them as tops sometimes.
Stripes. Tons and tons of stripes. I was doing a TV appearance and they said, “Don’t wear prints or stripes.” I had to go out and buy something new because literally everything I own is striped. I always say I won’t buy anything more that’s striped, but last week I bought two new spring tops that were striped because the colors were so fun and springy.
I have become my father who would find one sweater he liked and buy it in a ton of different colors. I have the same Ralph Lauren cable knit v-neck in multiple colors including two shades of hot pink. I swear the pinks are slightly different enough…
This pair of teal yoga pants that got accidentally bleached. I bought them in Portugal and they are so comfortable that I can’t bear to throw them out.
In My Pantry:
Gluten-free Tinkyada rice pasta. I love pasta so much and this one is my favorite. I prefer the elbows to the other shapes. I swear they taste better.
Enjoy Life rice milk crispy chocolate bars. Addictive and delish.
Chicken broth. I love chicken soup. It’s my favorite comfort food. Pacific Foods is my favorite.
Gummi vitamins. I have some that taste like orange slices and some that taste like gumdrops. Why did I ever take big people vitamins when I could have been eating these candy-like ones?
Justin’s Almond Butter. What else do you dip dark chocolate? Almond butter with dark chocolate is my favorite snack to eat while watching playoff games. I’ve been a Pistons fan since I was a kid, but I’ve been watching the San Antonio Spurs for forever, too. My grandpa and I used to watch together.
Top 10 Favorite Things by Krysten Lindsay Hager
1) My Kindle: I love being able to take over a hundred books with me at once. If I’m being honest, the best part about having a Kindle is that if you check out a library book with it, you don’t have to worry about the same things as you would if you borrowed a physical book—such as if the person who read it before you liked to read while sitting on the toilet.
2) Journals: I can never have enough cute notebooks and journals to write it. Sometimes I decide to devote a journal to one thing, then I rationalize that nothing else but that story can be written in it, therefore I must go buy another new one.
3) American Dad: This show has gotten me through so much. I watch it to escape the bad times and to laugh when I need time off. I catch several episodes of it during the week on Cartoon Network and on TBS. Roger the Alien is my spirit animal. I quote the show more than anything else.
4) Pepsi. It is my headache reliever, my comforter, my soother. I drink the real sugar kind and freak out when the store doesn’t have any in stock.
5) Detroit Lions football: yes, they break my heart every single season and yes, I should have learned from the fact my father and grandfather before him also suffered watching season after thankless season. I have to take some responsibility because it’s me who keeps going back. When I was sad watching the first game that was played after my dad passed my mom said, “Well, we have to imagine heaven is better than a Lions game and if it’s not then we’ve all been seriously oversold.”
6) Pacifica soy candles in Lotus Garden: I’m not sure how many I’ve gone through of these, but this is my favorite scent. I also like pairing it with Sandalwood. I imagine the Sandalwood candle is what Ronaldo would smell like…not that I’ve thought about that sort of thing.
7) Sweet Potato Chips: I can’t have regular potato chips, but I can eat sweet potatoes, so finding these was like finding the holy grail of snacking.
8) Nail polish: In Landry in Like,I say that Ashanti is on the never ending quest to find the perfect opaque lavender nail polish. This is my own personal mission in life. I came close once years ago and then they discontinued that shade. One day…one day…
9) My phone: I’m always on my phone checking Instagram, my messages, playing music, and even reading if I’m traveling. But I hate voicemail. Don’t leave me voicemails. Also, don’t read me addresses or spell things to me over the phone. I can’t stand that. I think that comes from having to do that so much in my journalist days. Just text me, email me the info, or hire a sky writer, but don’t say, “Do you have a pen nearby? Can you write this down?”
10) Diana’s Bananas: I am addicted to these frozen chocolate dipped bananas on a stick. I call them choccie bananas and I cannot live without them.